Securities and Mutual Funds
You are no longer subject to capital gains tax when you donate publicly traded securities to qualified charities. You are also still entitled to receive a charitable tax receipt for the fair market value of the securities donated.
As a result, donating securities to United Way may produce a greater tax benefit than selling the shares first, and then donating the cash. The following exchangeable shares are eligible:
- Shares, rights, bonds or debentures listed on a designated stock exchange
- Shares of a Canadian public mutual fund corporation
- Units of a widely held Canadian mutual fund trust
- An interest in a segregated (insurance) fund trust
- A bond or debenture issued or guaranteed by the Government of Canada or one of the provinces
Benefits to You
- Tax Advantages - By donating your appreciated securities or mutual funds directly to United Way of Peel Region you can eliminate your capital gains tax bill.
- Reduced Brokerage Fees - Many brokerage houses forego fees for charitable transactions.
- Simple and Convenient - Securities are easy to transfer. Your broker transfers the shares from your account to United Way of Peel Region's brokerage account.
- Opportunity - An opportunity to make a greater difference in your own community.
- Recognition - Your gift can be honoured during your lifetime.
How Does It Work?
The securities must be transferred to United Way and not sold by the donor. The gift will not qualify for the reduced capital gains tax if the securities are sold and the cash then gifted.
A charitable tax receipt is issued for the fair market value of the security on the date of transfer. Here is a simplified example to illustrate the benefits. The first option involves selling the shares and then giving the cash to United Way. In the second option, you transfer the shares directly to United Way.
Find Out More
Donate Securities on Canada Helps
You can easily and safely donate your securities now by clicking on the Donate button on the right which takes you to our page on the Canada Helps website.
Scroll to the tabs at the bottom and click on the Donate Securities tab.
Additional information is also available by clicking on the Find out more about donating securities link.
Seek Expert Advice
If you are thinking about transferring assets that have appreciated in value, please seek expert advice from a tax specialist or your broker to ensure that your financial goals are considered, your tax situation reviewed, and that your gift is tailored to your circumstances.
Call Us for More Information
If you would like to know more about making a gift to United Way, please contact Signy Madden at firstname.lastname@example.org