Marketing & Communications Contractor
United Way Central and Northern Vancouver Island (UWCNVI) is seeking a skilled, creative, results-oriented communications/marketing professional passionate about providing education around pressing social issues and inspiring people to volunteer, donate and act in support of United Way’s efforts to improve lives and community.
This is an excellent opportunity to hone your skills in donor-centric writing under the direction of the Communications Officer and work with a talented United Way team. You’ll also work with our many corporate and institutional partners as well as research and translate into motivational copy/materials the inspiring stories from the programs our donors fund and the coalitions our staff members facilitate.
This is a three-month contract position that requires approximately 5-10 hours per week; possibility of extending the contract in 2019. The position is mostly remote with regular in-office meetings in Nanaimo.
- Work with social service agency partners to identify communication opportunities and collect client success stories
- Write event invitations, flyers, and other communication materials for our advocacy work on coalitions and partnerships that support affordable housing, isolated seniors, and disadvantaged children and youth
- Research and write client success stories, brochures, press releases, annual report and other marketing collateral for fundraising
- Research and write social media posts and blog posts
- Update website content
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong understanding of donor-centric writing and the ability to write motivating copy to support fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to translate marketing objectives into compelling communications that achieve targeted results
- Proven accuracy and attention to detail
- Resourceful, good work ethic, team player, and positive attitude
- Ability to work on multiple projects, meet deadlines, and consistently deliver high-quality results
- Professional demeanor, attire, and presentation required
- Able to build effective relationships within and outside UWCNVI including with United Way Canada, communication teams at other United Ways in BC, funded agencies and corporate/other donors
- Familiarity with AFP’s Code of Ethics and able to maintain donor confidentiality
- Social media experience (including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn)
- Excellent skills in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Preferred skills in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign
Deadline: Friday, September 7, 2018.