COVID-19 Agency Updates – Campbell River Coalition to End Homelessness
Last updated: March 23rd, 2020 @ 12:30 PM
The Coalition to End Homelessness will do our best to keep our community posted of any social service agency closures/hour changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic that may impact those experiencing (or at risk of experiencing) homelessness. This list will be updated as information comes in.
Salvation Army Lighthouse
Open for daily bagged lunches @ 11:30 Monday- Friday.
If people in need of clothing, items can be handed out as well through the door.
Salvation Army Family Services
Available for food hamper pick up. Call 250-287-2699 between 9 and 11 Wednesday to Friday
Radiant Life Church
All meals are operational and all are takeout only with the building shutdown; bagged meals at the door.
Monday- Kind Hearts, Grass Roots Dinner @ 5:00 PM
Tuesday- Kind Hearts, Grass Roots Dinner @ 5:00 PM
Wednesday- KDC Breakfast @ 08:30 & Kind Hearts, Grass Roots Dinner @ 5:00 PM
Thursday- Kind Hearts, Grass Roots Dinner @ 5:00 PM
Friday- Kind Hearts, Grass Roots Dinner @ 5:00 PM
Saturday- lunch cancelled for time being
Sunday- Lunch @ 11:30
Campbell River Food Bank
Still open and taking the proper precautionary health & safety measures- shifting to delivering packages outside. No plans to ration food; however, availability of food inventory may change from local providers/stores.
Salvation Army Evergreen Shelter
Shelter guests and some staff are isolating in place. No new intakes until further notice.
Campbell River & North Island Transition Society
The Ann Elmore House will continue to provide crisis intervention and support via telephone (250-286-3666) and safe shelter for women with urgent need - no visitors will be allowed and social distancing will be an expectation.
Vancouver Island Mental Health Society – Sobering Assessment Centre
All 12 beds are open; operational 24 hours/day.
Second Chance Recovery
Detox beds are closed for two weeks and re-evaluated at that time. No visitors allowed and no Day client referrals being accepted at this time. Clients are not permitted to attend outside meetings.
Kwakiutl District Council (KDC) Health
KDC able to distribute harm reduction supplies through an on call format – call Leanne @ 250-203-9713 for on nation supports/KDC clients at this time.
KDC is also able to support access to opioid agonist therapy for clients who may be quarantined with support from North Island Medical Centre & Coastal Community Medical Centre as prescribers. Please contact Leanne @ 250-203-9713 to coordinate support through various community partners.
OUTREACH SERVICES & COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS:
Campbell River & North Island Transition Society
- All group gatherings have been cancelled for the time being.
- The Women's Centre will continue to be open from 10:00am to 3:00pm Monday through Thursday, however only 5 people at one time may be in the centre for a maximum of one hour.
- Food and poverty relief supplies will still be available.
- We are not accepting any donations at this time.
- No intakes into the Recovery program at this time.
- High touch surfaces will be disinfected 3-4 times per day. Public showers are not allowed at the community office (Rose Harbour) at this time.
- Income Tax clinic at the Women's Centre is not available at this time.
- Transitions Thrift Store is closed effective 5:00pm today.
- Counselling appointments are being done by phone.
Kwakiutl District Council (KDC) Health
KDC Health is operating under essential services only – we’re supporting our members that are not well enough to be left unattended. Rotating staff in the office, all other are operating the best they can from home. Please connect with Tanille (Tanille.firstname.lastname@example.org ) if you’re made aware of a KDC Community Member that needs immediate service and we’ll coordinate to support them.
Campbell River Head Injury Support Society
Programs are also on hold until further notice but we are available by phone and emails.
John Howard Society of the North Island
JHSNI homelessness prevention is available by appointment 250.286.0611
Closed to visitors but we’re working rotating shifts at the office and the remainder from home.
Volunteer Campbell River
Office is currently closed with staff working remotely. Planning a video call for non-profits early next week so we can connect with each other locally and see what is needed.
North Island Employment Services (NIEFS)
Permission from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction to close our physical offices to the public but are still staffed and providing services virtually and by phone. Our official message is on our website here: https://www.niefs.net/covid-19 1-866-286-6788
We will continue to work with folks in any capacity we can. We also have restrictions for those who need to sign documents but don’t have access to the internet to do so. We have a sign posted on our door with instructions for clients in this situation.
Campbell River Beacon Club
Closed – members are aware.
Campbell River & District Division of Family Practice
Keeping the public informed on our website www.campbellriver.fetchbc.ca – updated regularly.
Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL)
All locations including Campbell River are closed.
Habitat for Humanity Vancouver Island North
Events cancelled and volunteer shifts suspended.
Campbell River and District Association for Community Living
CRADACL has closed all non essential services.
North Island Medical Clinic
Coastal Community Clinic
Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
- Restricting number of clients accessing building
- In-Person Ministry offices remain open to serve applicants and clients.
- My Self-Serve and the Contact Centre at 1.866.866.0800
- My Self Serve and phone service as the preferred method of communication wherever possible. Please also encourage clients to use electronic deposit. This is in keeping with the BC Provincial Health Officer’s recommendation to maintain ‘social distance’ protocols and help protect our staff and the people we serve.
-Cheque issue (March 25) will continue the same although number of people allowed in the building will be restricted. All clients will be picking up cheques at 908 Pandora but they will be doing triage outside all day and allowing those to pick up their cheques at each wicket or cubicle.
City of Campbell River & Strathcona Regional District
Community Centre, Sportsplex and Strathcona Gardens are closed.
COVID-19 Service updates from the Comox Valley Coalition to End Homelessness
Last updated: March 25, 2020 – 2:15pm
Public Washrooms - City of Courtenay Washrooms below Sid Williams theatre and in the Simms Park are open daily from 7am - 7pm for our street community to wash hands, use toilets and refill water bottles.
Salvation Army Pidcock Shelter - Shelter open 24/7. 18 regular beds and 20 emergency response (EWR) mats. EWR will continue until June 30th.
Connect Warming Centre - Open! Monday - Saturday from 9:30am - 4:30pm (closing during St. George's lunch from 11:30am-12:30pm). Strict health measures in place. Only four people will be admitted to the space at a time, for a max of 30 minutes.
- social distancing will be a requirement
- doors will remain locked: staff will let people in and out
- everyone will be screened for symptoms of illness at the door
- anyone displaying symptoms will not be permitted into the space will be asked to call 8-1-1 for further assistance
- All those admitted will be required to immediately and thoroughly wash their hands
- limited refreshments and toiletries will be provided
- CVTS staff will hand out or refill water bottles.
Sonshine Lunch Club at St. George's United Church
Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri: Bag lunch "to go" served on the front lawn from 11:30am - 12:30pm at St. George's United Church
Tues: bag lunch "to go" served by the Salvation Army at their Cornerstone Family Services at the corner of 29th St. and Cliffe Ave. (468 29th St. Courtenay).
Sun: The "Food Not Bombs" community meal will provide sandwhiches from 2:00pm - 3:30pm
Comox Valley Food Bank - CLOSED until further notice
Care-a-van - Still operating a regular schedule with health measures in place.
- In need of donations of non-perishable grab n' go foods, canned soups, boost, yogurt etc.
- Donations can be dropped-off at Sunwest RV, 2800 Cliffe Ave. only for closed boxes or bags with tied handles with non-perishable food. Clean, warm clothes and sleeping bags must be bagged in garbage bags.
- For other donations, or donating large quantities, call Sabina at 250-331-1413
AVI Health & Community Services - Drop-in services are closed, Harm reduction and overdose prevention services (including witnessed injection) can be accessed via back door entry to our building. Only two people will be permitted into the building at a time to ensure effective social distancing.
Outreach harm reduction supply distribution and nutritional support can be provided to AVI clients as staffing levels permit. Please contact the AVI outreach phone at 250-207-5351 to inquire. All education and group sessions have been postponed until further notice.
BC Transit - the CVRD has approved NO FARE transit for the next 30 days. This applies to HandyDart and conventional service. Rear door entry is also allowed to reduce contact.
Salvation Army Family Services - Community & Family Services continue to operate. Tuesday lunch is being served from their 29th St. location with proper safety protocol.
LUSH Valley Food Action Society - LUSH Valley's physical office is closed. The Team is working remotely and working hard to establish a COVID-19 Food Share Program. The phone is being answered when we are available and we are not adhering to usual office hours. A new Emergency Food Share Helpline will be release ASAP.
In light of the sudden closure of the Foodbank, we are seeking an alternate space to conduct a similar hamper, as well as a grocery store gift card program.
In the coming days, we will open the emergency helpline and an online portal where individuals can fill out a form to request food assistance, farmers and businesses can donate food and people can organize neighbourhood food drives. For food drives, we will have vehicles and drivers come to pick-up donations, to limit the numbers of people on the road and delivering food to our new warehouse.
Wachiay Friendship Centre - CLOSED until further notice. Staff are working remotely and can be reached by email/voicemail.
Eureka Support Society - CLOSED until June 1, 2020. Eureka members may call 250-334-4035 and Lynda or Chris will get back to you the next business day.
Vancouver Island Regional Library - CLOSED
Comox Valley Transition Society - Downtown office will remain closed - all drop-in groups are cancelled until further notice.
- Reviewing additional, precautionary measures for Lilli House
- Amethyst House - not accepting new clients at this time. We will continue to accept referrals which we will respond to at a time when we are able to take-in residents again.
- Too Good to Be Threw - CLOSED
- Unbroken Chain - all gatherings and groups cancelled, but still available over phone and Facebook. Outreach and care packages will continue to be delivered to vulnerable elders. If you know of anyone who would benefit, please contact us at 778-585-3105 or through our Facebook page.
- Lifelong Learning Centre - CLOSED and program cancelled until further notice.
Comox Valley Senior Support Society
- Home visits have been cancelled and have moved to phone check-ins and Skype or Facetime visits.
- No intakes, but new referrals will be contacted and put on our list of those who we call to check-in on.
- We have volunteers willing to do extra, e.g. make calls, do grocery and prescription pick-up and delivery.
- We encourage seniors to call if they need support and for people to sign-up to support a senior, encouraging people to keep an eye on seniors who are living in their neighbourhood.
Comox Valley Head Injury Society - Staff are working remotely and providing email and phone support. Contact us at 250-334-9225 or email@example.com
L'arche Comox Valley - I Belong Centre - Closed to the public as the population they serve, and many of their volunteers, are considered vulnerable.
Comox Valley Family Services - Staff are all working from home, but continue to support client needs.
Mental Health & Substance Use - Drop-in groups, such as the early recovery program, are not cancelled. Appointments at MHSU are now by phone.
Work BC - Continuing to assist job seekers and employers by phone and online; through our physical doors are closed to in-person service.
- Job Seeker: Here to support our current and new job seekers during this challenging time. If you or someone you know would like to connect with an Employment Counsellor at Work BC, please call 250-334-3119
- Employers: COVID-19 has changed the way businesses operate. We know that employers are and will be looking for ways to support themselves, their employees and their business. We're here to help, whether is be information on wage subsidy, links, hiring or planning for future events. We welcome your phone calls: 250-334-3119. Ask for Andrea, Employer Services Coordinator, or Brooke, Labour Market Specialist.
Black Creek Bread of Life Foodbank - Still open Tuesday 9:30am - 11:30am at the Black Creek Mennonite Church. In need of food donations.
Sasamans Society - Still providing phone support to our families. Staff are currently working from home.